Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A conversation with DeMarcio Slaughter, Main Stage Entertainment Coordinator for PrideFest

Well, this is actually a little bit more of a Q&A since I had some technical issues with the digital recording of our original conversation and had to fall back on good old-fashioned email. It's still good stuff, though, DeMarcio really brings a lot of energy and attention to detail to PrideFest and he does it all while looking really good in his white spandex (see pic below!):

Drew: So what is it exactly that the main stage entertainment coordinator does?
DeMarcio: My “job” is to review all the acts and bands that want to perform and create the best and most entertaining roster possible. Every now and then, I get lucky and can pull in a major headliner like Tiffany or CeCe Penniston. I also emcee the day, to make sure things are on track and keep the crowd jazzed (as I am) about who’s on next.

How did you come to be involved with PrideFest?
It started six years ago when a close friend of mine asked me to emcee her drag queen set. I got asked back year after year and,each time, I’d host a longer portion of the day. Before I knew it, I’d volunteered to put the whole thing together. I never expected to still be involved all this time later.

Why is this year's PrideFest going to be the best ever?
I want a big show! I want people to be entertained by a diverse group of performers who offer a bit of something to a vast group of people. We increased the budget this year – I raised several thousand dollars personally and pulled some strings so that we could have TOP names and quality performers. The parade will be bigger, the festival will be over two days and it’s going to be one of those shows people talk about until the next year. We get better because the volunteers work harder, seeing what was accomplished the previous year and doing whatever it takes to make it bigger and better.

Who have you booked as performers this year?
The local favorites will be there; James Roy, Nina Montaldo and Royal Rush ALWAYS wow the crowd. There will be some new bands and other fantastic local acts like Laurie Damron from Boulder and Court Clark, who is a regular at a local Karaoke bar.
Headliners will be Sophie B. Hawkins, who agreed to perform a full concert on Saturday and Martha Wash, (performing on Sunday) who I’ve been trying to book for three years! Amazing performers and the singing will be OUT of this world!
I’ve also been talking to Matthew Rush on a regular basis, and although he won’t be able to perform, I’ve emceed a show with him before and he is simply great to look at on stage. I am hoping that he can make it …


Why is it important to have celebrities at PrideFest?
Celebrities are like the icing on a REALLY good cake. You may like cake and know where to get the best cake in town, but if there’s no icing – it may not catch your eye and you may skip it, despite knowing that you’ll enjoy it. With our entertainment in Denver, I’ve got to have the best icing on our PrideFest cake!

If you could bring anybody to PrideFest, who would it be?
I like people who can sing and draw a crowd. If money were no object, I’d have Whitney open with the Star Spangled Banner and close with the Scissor Sisters. However, we are the only PrideFest around where you don’t have to pay $$ to see the entertainment. I’d love to get $15 for every person who saw Tiffany last year, then I could afford Beyonce or Madonna. I met Leona Lewis last week, and I immediately thought to ask her to perform (after she got in her limo and drove off…!)

What does PrideFest mean to you?
PrideFest means unity. It means love and togetherness. Pride has been embraced and championed by our community, however it is something that is completely celebrated and over the top for a few days in June, in the Denver. I am fortunate and thankful that I am able to do my part to contribute to such a positive celebration of positive change and acceptance!

What is your message for readers of this blog?
When you come to Pride: Number one, apply sunscreen and, number two, bring water. We are preparing the BIGGEST & BEST cake that Denver has ever seen and we don’t want you to miss out on one single bite!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandi Carlile! DeMarcio forgot Brandi. We are very proud to offer a free festival and DeMarcio does an amazing job of bringing in talented acts for the shoe string he has to work with....
Oh yes, and we still need a mariachi band to round things out.

Anonymous said...

Demarcio darrrrrrling, you rock!!!

trin9980 said...

I can't wait to see what DeMarcio will put together this year, I have only heard fantastic things about previous years shows!!

Anonymous said...

DeMarcio always works so hard to put together amazing entertainment. I love how he brings so much excitement and energy to audiences. Can't wait to see what happens this year!

Anonymous said...

Demarcio has an amazing talent when it comes to putting on an event. Whether its a small get together or PrideFest a good time is guaranteed!
Superman

Anonymous said...

Denver loves DeMarcio!

RO said...

I went to Pride for the first time in '07. DeMarcio did a fantastic job of emcee for thousands of people. He has great charisma and talent. I know '08 will be the best since it will be his last. I can't wait. DeMarcio you are awesome!

Unknown said...

I heard thru the grapevine that this may be the last year DeMarcio hosts Pridefest, I just hope that will be as serious as Cher's "Farewell Tour",and that he will be back year after year after year!!
He is truly the best, and I can't wait for this years show!

Anonymous said...

DeMarcio ALWAYS brings the fun! I hope this truly isn't his last year, it wouldn't be PrideFest without him!

Anonymous said...

DeMarcio is a great person for organizing such a great event. I'll be sure to see him perform at his last PrideFest!

Anonymous said...

DeMarcio makes PRIDE for me! Having seen him in action the last few years I was eager to sign up to work with him again in 2008! He commands an audience and keeps the crowd going all afternoon! PRIDE wouldn't be the safe without him!

Anonymous said...

DeMarcio makes PRIDE for me! Having seen him in action the last few years I was eager to sign up to work with him again in 2008! He commands an audience and keeps the crowd going all afternoon! PRIDE wouldn't be the same without him!

Anonymous said...

look at those arms...damn!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE DEMARCIO

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that DeMarcio looked like this. I've only talked to him on the phone. My loss, obviously.

Unknown said...

If you maintain distributing effectively prepared articles or blog posts just like this then I will often keep returning back again to your weblog. Really excellent content.

Boulder Car Service
Boulder airport shuttle