Thursday, May 22, 2008

Meet Court Clark

Boulder singer/songwriter Court Clark has been a mainstay of PrideFest's Community Stage for the last five years but this year he has hit the big time and landed a coveted slot on the Main Stage.

Drew: Congratulations on making it to the Main Stage!
Court: Thanks. I've tried to get on the main stage for years and years and this year I was singing karaoke at Club M one night, which I frequently do, and DeMarcio (Slaughter, Main Stage Entertainment Coordinator) came up to me one night after I was done and offered me the Main Stage.

What was the song?
It was 'You Can't Stop the Beat' from Hairspray.


The music industry is really in the middle of a lot of changes. What's it like as a young person in the business?
Well, as far as the music business, I'm not exactly in it, but I'm trying to be! You just have to get yourself out there and it's not easy. I haven't had a lot of time yet to really focus on it but I'm trying to remedy that now.

Do you think being openly gay might hurt your chances for success?
Well, it might but I am comfortable with who I am and I'm not about to go back in the closet for the sake of a career. What you see is what you get with me. And the music industry is progressing, I think Columbia is actually starting a gay label, so it's something that I don't really worry about.

For people who haven't heard your music, how would you describe your sound and style?
It's hard to pin it down to one style of music. I have very eclectic taste, anything from showtunes to opera to rock and pop but what I mostly try to record is more of a rock sound and I try to put my own little spin on things.

What's your favorite part of PrideFest?
I don't know if I can name one single part. I love the whole thing! I love the street fair and the parade and the performances on the stages. I think it's good for the community because it gives us more visibility and gives people a chance to see who we are.

What message do you have for readers of PrideFest Blog?
Come listen to me on the Main Stage at 1 p.m. on Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are all very excited to have him join the Main Stage this year!!